Tuesday 1 May 2012

Operation Smile Concert

Held on April 14th 2012, the Operation Smile club organized a concert at ISK to raise money for children and their opportunity to have an operation. Some of the members of the club asked the Composer's Club, another club in ISK, to join and preform on that night. I wasn't part of any of these two clubs, however, I still got the chance to preform with some of the members from Composer's. 

My sister was one of the members of this group, and one of the people that helped organize this concert.
One day, she offered me to sing backup, and harmony along with two other girls in one of the songs she was going to sing. I agreed. 
In addition, I also helped her compose two of her original songs, by helping her write the lyrics. 
One of her songs was called "Replay".  She asked me if I wanted to sing the song by myself for the concert.
When she asked, I honestly was uncertain. One part of me wanted to sing it, but the other was too scared too mess up the song, and later embarrass myself in front of everyone.
Singing is one of the things I like to do the most, along with dancing. However, sometimes I find it difficult to preform in front of people because I tend to get nervous. But I took the opportunity, and agreed to sing. I thought that it was a good chance to overcome the nervousness and get comfortable with large audiences.
Uncertain of whether it was a good idea to agree to sing, I tried to practice as much as I could. My sister helped me with the melody, and helped get a solid understanding of how she wanted to song to turn out singing-wise. However, as I sang, I always felt like something was missing. But I couldn't put my finger on it. 
Days passed, and we reached the point where we had to practice on stage, with the instruments, and microphones. This gave it a whole different feel, and it helped me get a little bit more comfortable. However, something was still missing. 

The morning of the concert, I finally understood why I wasn't comfortable singing the song. I realized that the song was too low, and it prevented me from reaching climatic points in the song, and I couldn't transmit much energy. Last minute, the key of the song was changed, and I felt much better.
I felt very nervous before singing "Replay" as I started to shake, and was taking deep breaths very often.
I got on stage, shaking even more, but still trying to put a smile on my face. As I began to sing, I noticed that my voice didn't sound as well as when I practiced it. My voice was shaky, and had less strength, and less energy. Plus, my arms were shaking, so I avoided any movement that would make that obvious. 
However, as the song went by, I started to feel a bit more comfortable, and tried to put a bit of energy. 
By the end of the song, I believe that I became more expressive in the way I preformed the song. 

I do, however, feel I could have done much better, but I understand that nerves can prevent a person from giving their full potential. And this is something I would like to overcome, by participating in events like these, and little by little get more comfortable. 
By the end of this experience, I've learned that, I may not have sang the way I wanted to that night, but it serves me as a good experience for other future performances, and try to improve from there. I can see that you can also apply this to other situations in life. One cannot be good at something straight away. It takes practice, and experience to become skilled. And even if sometimes something doesn't turn out the way you planned it, you can always learn from those experiences, and improve from there.

No comments:

Post a Comment